TRENDS AND CHALLENGES IN THE DAWN OF INTERNET OF THINGS ERA
out of 19
Post on 17-Aug-2014
- Trends and challenges in the dawn of Internet of Things Era ALEXANDRU IOVANOVICI POLITEHNICA UNIVERSITY OF TIMISOARA ADVANCED COMPUTING SYSTEMS AND ARCHITECTURES LABORATORY
- Songdo, South Korea first of its kind fully equipped and wired smart city $40 billion in 10 years;
- What is IoT ? uniquely identifiable objects and their virtual representations in an Internet-like structure [Ashton99]  the expanding interconnectedness of smart devices, ranging from sensors in your shoe to jet engine monitors [BusinessWeek] Each object can be connected via other objects (usually via third party) to exchange data. Roots in the M2M. The third age of the Internet
- State of IoT
- What do we need ? Key enabling technologies RFID NFC Barcodes 2D codes: QR or the more obscure ones: Aztec, Data Matrix, HCCB, PDF417 Digital watermarking: adding auth. data to a signal; IPv6: there would be more IP addresses available than things. Every screen variant, mobile chip, and sensor known to man has been tuned to work with Android [Jim Zemlin, Linux Foundation]
- IoT @ Google
- Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) Where as classic Bluetooth devices measure their battery life in hours, Bluetooth Smart devices measure their battery in months or even years - proximity detection - vitals monitoring
- Implementation issues Lack of standardization; Size: its going to be huge. From 50 to 100 trillion of moving things [Waldner 2007]; Time constraints: extremely hard real-time system: billion of simultaneous events. Position tracking: things have to know their neighbors and interact to them. The shear quantity of data is way above what we can process now or not !?
- Internet of Isolated Things Systems running on a smaller scale: size and area; Informationally isolated to the big IoT private networks; Such as: Home automation; Industrial control; Safety critical systems.
- Hard stuff -;) Bluetooth via Amarino Android IOIO
- Indoor location iBeacon Indoor spaces lack GPS and have poor GSM location; technology revolution that will rival the invention of the mouse and the graphical user interface  [smh.com.au, ] Developers scramble to build services on top of beacons, analytics on top of services, and brilliant user experiences and strategy at the top of the pyramid. [beekn.net] http://estimote.com/
- iBeacon technology Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) Geofencing three zones Immediate: cm range (like NFC); Near: a few meters Far: more than 10 m Micro-location awareness Apple iBeacons: With great power comes great potential to annoy [ZDNet] iOS 7.1 : iBeacon is opt-out instead of opt-in Beacons only transmit data apps. track people
- Beacon A Raspberry Pi A Bluetooth 4.0 USB Module: compatible BlueZ A iOS 7.0 + Beacon Toolkit App Store to test with goo.gl/W7a16C http://www.bluez.org/ Radius Networks' Android iBeacon Service library
- Industrial IoT - IIoT Echelon IzoT; Ex: variable-speed compressor technology; 2535% efficiency boost (Emerson) Connect Nest with building scale air conditioning 1979 Modbus !!! grid stabilization services 16$ billion market (vcharge-energy.com) Automatic control of all devices during peak demands in the grid; The Internet of Everything for cities [CISCO, 2013] Weishaupt, 200,000 BTU/hr 37,000,000 BTU/hr
- Threats internet of things holds promises but it also holds dangers [Rob van Kraneburg, 2011] the intelligence community views Internet of Things as a rich source of data [Ackerman, 2012]
- Powered by Android ;-)
View more >
Systems Computing Challenges in the Internet of Things ? Systems Computing Challenges in the Internet of ... are competing to become the de facto platform ... of Things - - Computing Challenges in the Internet of ...